What is it?
YLC Kicks is a free sports-based youth development program that uses soccer as a tool for positive health, behavioral and social outcomes for players aged 5- 13. The 11-week program operates at eleven NORDC parks throughout New Orleans each spring.
The goal of the program is to improve health, behavioral and social outcomes and long-term impact on all of the children served. In 2015, YLC Kicks coaches spent over 3,000 hours mentoring and coaching more than 1,100 girls and boys across New Orleans.
Important Details for parents!
- NO REGISTRATION FEE/COST (Really. It’s free)
- REGISTRATION IS OPEN THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEASON! (It never closes)
- We host one practice session for 75 minutes one night per week, and one game on Friday nights or Saturday mornings
- YLC Kicks is open to boys and girls ages: 5-13
- No equipment needed! All participants will be provided with a soccer ball, t-shirt and necessary equipment (Yep- we GIVE YOU stuff)
- Tennis shoes are fine, no cleats required
How do we do it?
We make it fun and keep it positive! Studies show that FUN is important to learning and child development. The YLC Kicks curriculum promotes free play, engages youth in age-appropriate learning, and teaches critical character building skills that can help them succeed throughout their lives.
Fun. Respect. Responsibility. Conflict Resolution. Fairness. Caring.
Health. Citizenship. Leadership. Diversity. Trustworthiness
Our program is successful because of our remarkable coaches, most of whom have never played soccer before in their lives! That’s right. We take rookies and pros! We just need a few hours of your time each week to engage kids who are eager to call you “Coach.”