Young Leadership Council – Communications and Engagement Coordinator
Celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2016, the Young Leadership Council improves the quality of life in New Orleans and develops young professionals as leaders through civic engagement and volunteer-led community service projects. The Communications and Engagement Coordinator is charged with developing and implementing an effective communications plan to recruit, engage and retain young professionals, community partners and donors. Two primary goals of the position are to expand YLC’s membership base and increase the visibility for YLC’s community projects by benchmarks agreed upon by the Executive Director and the Communications and Engagement Coordinator. The Communications and Engagement Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and work closely with the Development Manager and Projects and Operations Manager. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan to increase visibility of YLC and YLC’s 15 volunteer-led community service projects.
- Manage social media accounts to effectively recruit and engage members and to highlight the impact of YLC’s volunteer-led community service projects.
- Manage relationships with media, including building relationships with public relations agencies, reporters and bloggers, pitching stories, and coordinating interview requests.
- Work with staff and volunteer leaders to develop press releases and execute press events.
- Maintain YLC website; produce or source copy, video, photography, and other content.
- Track, analyze, and report outcomes of various communications tactics.
- Gather, write, and edit content for YLC’s weekly e-newsletter and other email communications.
- Collaborate with the YLC Development Manager to develop and grow digital fundraising initiatives.
- Ensure all promotional materials are aligned with the organization’s brand identity.
Recruitment and Engagement
- Develop and implement an effective member recruitment, engagement and retention strategy.
- Staff, plan and promote member engagement and recruitment events including all event logistics and post-event follow-up.
- Recruit and manage more than 1,300 volunteers annually to support Wednesday at the Square, YLC projects, the YLC annual Role Model Awards Gala, and other volunteer needs.
- Maintain accurate and timely membership records in the YLC database.
- Provide training and support for YLC project leaders, committee chairs, and members to use YLC’s member portal (Digital Cheetah) and other relevant member and communications tools.
- Represent the work of YLC through speaking engagements and attendance at events.
- Collaborate with the YLC Development Manager to cultivate Corporate Members and to share relevant donor engagement information.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, creative writing or related field.
- One or more years of experience managing outreach, social media or traditional media campaigns.
- Experience working with an email marketing software and member management databases.
- Experience engaging people in person and online.
Related Skills & Other Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups.
- Facility with various tools of digital technology and communication, including WordPress, Raiser’s Edge, Adobe Creative Suite, and marketing tools such as Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Proven track record engaging and retaining members, volunteers or other audiences.
- Detail oriented.
- Comfort working independently, but can also work well in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Energetic with creative problem-solving skills.
- Passion for YLC’s mission and familiarity with our projects.
- Regular use of a car with valid driver’s license and insurance.
The salary range for the position is $35,000-$38,500 depending upon experience.
Visit the Young Leadership Council website (ylcnola.org) to learn more about our strategic priorities and our mission. A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and a resume are required to be considered an eligible applicant. Closing date for applications is August 19, 2016.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.