Young Leadership Council – Executive Director
Full-time (Salaried, exempt)
Young Leadership Council is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, civic organization that develops young professionals into leaders through community projects. Through volunteer-led community projects, YLC recruits and retains young professionals to New Orleans, and creates a positive impact on quality of life in the region.
Young Leadership Council is at an exciting juncture as it approaches its 40th anniversary. Building upon its ability to create transformative leadership experiences for young professionals, YLC is poised to determine its strategic direction in an ever-changing environment. Young Leadership Council is seeking a strong Executive Director to lead in advancing the organization’s vision and innovating upon its strengths. Key opportunities for the new Executive Director include:
1. Developing and implementing a more sustainable funding model
2. Creating and spearheading strategic priorities grounded in leadership development, community impact, and the needs of New Orleans’ young professional community
3. Fostering a strong team environment to support an evolving portfolio of leadership programs and events.
Working in partnership with a committed and talented board, staff, and network of volunteers, the next Executive Director will be a leader within the New Orleans business and professional community. YLC is looking forward to engaging dynamic candidates for this unique and impactful opportunity.
Fundraising Strategy and Execution
· Develop and execute a plan that enables YLC to cultivate, solicit, and steward all current and future funders and major donors.
· Provide executive oversight for all fundraising efforts including long-term planning, establishing strategic fundraising activities, and submitting proposals.
· Define a vision for fundraising and awareness-raising events and supervise staff and volunteers to execute.
Development and Implementation of Organizational Strategy
· Establish a clear vision for the organization’s future financial and programming growth.
· Work with Board Members and staff to ensure a long-term growth strategy in-line with the organization’s vision and community needs.
· Collaborate with Board and staff to establish program metrics to monitor program effectiveness.
Relationship Building and External Partnership Development
· Regularly engage with a broad network of community stakeholders to further YLC’s brand and ensure alignment with the needs of the New Orleans community.
· Articulate YLC’s value and brand identity and communicate it outwardly.
· Serve as the key public face for the organization among all stakeholders.
Fostering a Strong Team Environment
· Supervise, develop, and train YLC Operations Manager in their role including oversight of Communications Associate to ensure collaborative environment is maintained between staff and volunteers.
· Work collaboratively with staff to set and oversee progress against organizational objectives.
· Partner with the Board, staff, and external advisors to develop a diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy and goals to inform staffing and day-to-day activities.
Fiscal Management and Governance
· Serve as the primary channel of communication between the Board and staff, delivering regular reports to the Board on the organization’s operations and financial position.
· Ensure the fiscal integrity of the organization, providing monthly financial statements and other documentation and reports that accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization. This includes leading staff and Board in the development of the annual budget, overseeing progress against this budget, and maintaining oversight of organizational assets, including investments.
· Work collaboratively with the Board President to set Board strategy and regularly engage Board members around their role in realizing the organization’s vision.
Desired Attributes and Competencies:
· Proven fundraising track record (grants, major gifts, annual giving, campaigns, and/or sponsorships) or experience with identifying and integrating earned revenue streams.
· Proven track record of developing and executing on organizational strategy.
· Ability to manage small to mid-sized teams and delegate appropriately.
· Comfort communicating in public forums and across a broad group of stakeholders.
· Strong collaboration and relationship-building skills.
· Comfort navigating internal/external conversations around DEI.
· Ability to establish priorities and make tough decisions.
· 5+ years as an entrepreneurial leader with experience managing programs and managing people in a nonprofit or social enterprise.
· Experience working for or serving on a nonprofit board.
· Existing familiarity with the New Orleans community.
· Background in leadership development.
· Demonstrated track record of integrating DEI into an organization.
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in related field. Candidates with an Associate’s degree, technical training, or without a conferred degree with equivalent experience are also encouraged to apply.
The requirements and qualifications listed are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. If you have most of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translate directly to our openings.
Young Leadership Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. YLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression.
Salary and Benefits:
Young Leadership Council offers a competitive benefits package including an annual salary of $85,000 – $100,000 (depending on experience), paid time off, and 80% Employer Contributed Health and Dental Insurance. After 6 months of employment, YLC will match 50% of employee contributions to Simple IRA up to 4%.
Please apply HERE. Be prepared to submit your resume and cover letter in PDF form. The second page of the application includes optional questions.
In order for your application to be received, you must click submit on the second page regardless of whether you answered the questions or not.
Applications must be received by 5pm CDT on Friday, October 20, 2023, for consideration and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
For more information, you may reach out to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.