YLC Communications and Engagement Manager
Young Leadership Council seeks a savvy, motivated, and persuasive communicator to activate our members, inspire our donors, build partnerships, and drive Young Leadership Council’s efforts to build young professional leadership to improve the quality of life in the Greater New Orleans region.
The Communications and Engagement Manager is charged with developing and implementing an effective communications and outreach plan to recruit, engage, and retain young professionals, community partners, and donors. The primary goals of the position are to deepen young professional engagement, strengthen leadership development programming, expand YLC’s membership base, and increase the visibility of YLC’s mission and community impact.
The Communications and Engagement Manager reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the Events and Sponsorships Manager, and serves as staff representative to the Communications, Membership, and Projects Committees. Specific responsibilities include:
Communications and Public Relations
• Develop, implement, and track short- and long-term communications strategies to increase visibility of YLC’s mission and community impact.
• Establish a compelling organizational narrative that engages members, prospective members, partner organizations, and donors.
• Provide materials and trainings to ensure YLC board members, staff, project leaders and members speak about the organization with a consistent and shared voice.
• Develop and distribute promotional materials, media packets, media alerts, and press releases.
• Manage media relationships, pitch stories, coordinate interview requests, and cultivate media sponsorships and promotions.
• Maintain YLC website; produce or source copy, video, photography, and other content.
• Gather, write, and edit content for YLC’s email communications and social media channels.
Membership Engagement and Leadership Development
• Support YLC’s Membership Committee in goal setting, planning, and promoting membership programming and events.
• Ensure organizational programs and events are mission-aligned and reflect and attract the diverse races, industries, and neighborhoods of our community.
• Integrate professional development and civic education opportunities into programming.
• Collaborate with the YLC Projects Committee to provide management, coaching, and support to YLC’s volunteer Project Leaders.
• Represent YLC through speaking engagements and attendance at events.
• Collaborate with the YLC Events and Sponsorship Manager to cultivate Corporate Members and to share relevant donor engagement information.
• Recruit and manage volunteers for YLC Wednesday at the Square and other organizational needs.
• Maintain accurate and timely membership records in the YLC database.
• Three to five years’ experience managing comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing initiatives to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
• Excellent writing skills and storytelling abilities that connect target audiences and new supporters to YLC’s brand, mission and impact.
• Experience using digital communication tools, email marketing software and member management databases.
• Proven track record engaging and retaining members, volunteers or other audiences.
• Experience working with committees, ideally in a leadership role.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
Related Skills & Other Qualifications
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple priorities.
• Energetic, creative problem-solver, results-oriented.
• Takes initiative and is highly accountable.
• Leadership qualities including trustworthiness, self-confidence, and ability to delegate.
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
• Passion for YLC’s mission and familiarity with our projects.
• Regular use of a car with valid driver’s license and insurance.
• Ability to, on occasion, lift and carry 20 pounds
The salary for the position is $42,000 to $45,000 depending upon experience.
To apply send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications and Engagement Manager”. The closing date for applications is May 29, 2019. No phone inquiries please.
Through volunteer-created community projects, the YLC recruits and retains young professionals to New Orleans and has a positive impact on the quality of life in the region. The oldest independent YPO (young professionals’ organization) in the country, the YLC has raised more than $25 million to support community projects in and around the New Orleans area since 1986.The YLC has more than 1,500 member-volunteers and is led by a 25-member board of directors and four staff members. Each community initiative is led by one or more volunteer project leaders.